Bastille Day celebrations at Tacoma Art Museum
If you speak even a little French, please support Jaime and come participate in her Essence of Line tour which will be done in French!
Also, Rock recommends the Jim Riswold lecture – see more info below.
Change up your Friday-after-work routine. Not with the standard dinner and a movie, or trip to the pub for happy hour... Join Tacoma Art Museum in celebrating Bastille Day (French Independence Day) on Friday, July 14 from 5:30 to 8:30 pm. The free event is a perfect way to start the weekend. This festival is family-friendly, but geared toward adults.
- DJ Juvenal will be spinning French hip-hop all evening.
- Wine, cheese, and quiche served on the upstairs atrium.
- Create a masterpiece in icing with Lynn DiNino dressed as Marie Antoinette for “Let Them Eat Cupcakes!” (also with Kris O’Leary!)
- Evergreen City Ballet will perform in the galleries.
- Tacoma artists Lia Craven, Marc Dombrosky, Laura Eklund, Ryan Meline, Heather Nordlund, Diane Novak, and Chris Sharp will create a 30-foot drawing of the ballet dancers in the lobby.
- Take a tour en Francais of Essence of Line: French Drawings from Ingres to Degas at 7 pm with Jaime O’Dell.
- Jim Riswold will discuss his photography series Napoléon 1769 a 2005, which features toy Napoleon figurines cavorting with Playmobil men and other toys. He’ll discuss images of people in power and highlight how he plays with absurdity, subversion, and dry wit in his work.
After earning a BA from the University of Washington in Philosophy, as well as one in History and yet another in Communications, Jim Riswold went on to become the Creative Director on the Nike account at Wiedein & Kennedy (working with Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods). He has been doing this for 16 years. Among his many accomplishments, he was once named by Newsweek as one of the 100 most influential people in American culture.
· His art : http://www.augengallery.com/Artists/riswold.html
Free admission doesn’t start until 5:30 pm.