Thursday, July 22, 2004

textbook

Dear Docents,

 

For this fall’s new docent class, we will be requiring a textbook for the art history class. Responding to Art: Form, Content, and Context is a wonderful book by art educator Robert Bersson. It comes highly recommended by colleagues in the field, and Anna and I have reviewed it and think it will be a great resource.

 

The first part of the book focuses on art appreciation and looking at art, with sections on each category of artistic medium (2-D, including painting, drawing, printmaking, etc., and 3-D, including sculpture, architecture, etc.). The second half of the book comprises a good art history overview from ancient Egypt to the present, with lots of high-quality full-color images. We will be ordering it through the museum store so we will be able to offer docents a substantial discount (the price will depend on how many copies we order so I can’t quote you the final price now, but imagine it will be in the $50 range).


Current docents are not required to buy the book, but I’m guessing that some of you will want to purchase it. If you think you might be interested, please let me know, since I am trying to estimate the number of copies we need to order.

 

If you would like to review the book before ordering I have a copy you can look at if you’d like to stop by my desk.


And lastly, we are actively recruiting people for the new docent class starting in September. If you know someone who might be interested, please either give them my contact information, or pass on to me their name/phone number and I will be happy to call them and talk to them about the program. If you belong to any organizations that you think we should add to our mailing list for docent program flyers, please let me know. Thanks to those of you who have already referred friends to us.

 

Tara Young

Associate Curator of Education

 

TACOMA ART MUSEUM

1701 Pacific Avenue

Tacoma, WA 98402

253.272.4258 x 3016

 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home